Finding Exciting Activities for Seniors With Limited Mobility | Executive Care of Avon Lake
Limited mobility is something that many seniors will either deal with temporarily or live with during their golden years, but that doesn’t mean the opportunity for fun needs to dwindle away.
According to the U.S. Census, there are some 47 million seniors living in our country. In 2014, the U.S. Census found that nearly 40% of people 65 and older had at least one disability, and that out of those with a disability, two-thirds reported having difficulty walking or climbing.
If your loved one suffers from mobility issues, there are plenty of fun activities he or she can still enjoy.
Keeping the Fun Going
Conditions like arthritis, strokes or injuries from falls can slow your loved one down, but the fun doesn’t have to come to a screeching halt.
Here are some activity ideas that those with limited mobility can enjoy:
- Scrapbooking. Does your loved one have a bunch of photos lying around in a box somewhere? A fantastic activity for him or her to enjoy is going through those photos and turning them into scrapbooks. It’s a fun journey down memory lane and can be an excellent way for memories and family stories to live on.
- Spending time outdoors. Mother Nature can serve as quite a pick-me-up and will be enjoyed by your loved one. Being able to sit outdoors in a nice, shaded area is always a wonderful idea in the summer months. Just be sure he or she isn’t getting too much exposure to the heat.
- Enjoying regular exercise. Limited mobility doesn’t mean exercise is out of the question. There are some excellent options for seniors, including chair exercises and chair yoga classes. Those using a walker can even work on their balance.
- Playing bingo. It may seem cliché, but this activity is enjoyed by many and a great opportunity for your loved one to get out and socialize with peers.
- Embracing the creative side. Did you know that it’s been found that creative activities can help minimize negative emotions and bring on an increase in positive ones? Activities like painting and sculpting can help reduce stress and anxiety, and to top it off, are just plain fun!
Life doesn’t have to be ruined by mobility issues. Instead, your loved one can make the most out of every day by enjoying some of the above ideas.
Know that Executive Care of Avon Lake is always ready to step in and help make sure your loved one is leading the life he or she wants and deserves, right in the comfort of home. Don’t hesitate to contact us to learn more about our in-home care services.